The Risk Reduction Overview is a diagram that shows risks, measures and the corresponding residual risk in a coherent and logical overview. This overview is used as a part of risk management processes – to better assess the risks, better plan the solutions, and report them is an explicit way.
The RRO visualization tool can be used by state institutions, as well as any other organization that deals with any sort of risk: data leakage, shortage of equipment, possible project delays, etc.
When we were approached by the Ministry of Defence, our goal was to build a tool that would support creating the RRO visualization to help them control risks better. The whole process consisted of identifying the actions that may lead to risk, describing the risks, finding ways to prevent them, visualizing the whole risk reduction plan, and reporting. Our goal was to make this process faster, easier, and more efficient.
1. The process of visualization was long and complicated. It required using a raster graphics editor, designing every single diagram from scratch.
2. The reports were created manually for every diagram. That required a lot of time and effort of people involved in this task.
3. The complicated and time-consuming process of risk visualization may have led to omitting minor risks – the less probable to occur, the less likely would the person responsible for the visualization take that risk into consideration and put it on a diagram.
1. Simple and intuitive interface. Every element of the diagram has a different shape and color – it is easy to distinguish the action that may lead to risk, the risk itself, and the ways to prevent it. A sensible layout is created automatically and the risk of human error is reduced.
2. It is possible to export/import parts of RRO to reuse them in different RROs – instead of designing every RRO visualization from scratch.
3. The diagrams can be exported to PDF. The tool is able to take the inputs from specific fields and turn them into a report automatically.
1. A simple way of creating RRO visualizations available as a fully accessible and intuitive open-source tool that can be used by different institutions and organizations.
2. Shortening the time of creating an RRO visualization thanks to making it possible to reuse parts of RRO across different RROs, which translates into making the risk reduction processes faster and more efficient.
3. Saving time that was previously spent on creating the reports manually.
4. Making the process of risk management easier, faster, and less exposed to human errors.